Finlandia University was founded in 1896 as Suomi College, but its heritage extends hundreds of years before that. Finnish people developed the attitude of "sisu" or "persistence and determination" during the early years of their country's formation. It is with this steadfast attitude that Finlandia University was established. After years of hard labor in the Upper Peninsula mining and lumber camps, Finnish immigrants began to dream of a better life for their children and future Finnish generations. They found their answer in Finlandia University. Although the first class consisted of only 11 people, the college persisted and in 1899 acquired its first building, Old Main. The Finns recognized the need to not only educate their children, but also to maintain their cultural heritage. Hence, the two-year college served many purposes in its early years: preserving Finnish culture; upholding and teaching the tenets of Lutheran religion; training Lutheran ministers; and educating students in English and other skills that would provide job opportunities in their new land. Today, Finlandia is the only private university in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and one of only 28 colleges and universities in the United States affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. It remains the only university in America founded by Finns. The name of the institution was changed on July 1, 2000, to Finlandia University. The institution is now made up of two colleges and two schools including the Suomi College of Arts & Sciences, the College of Professional Studies, the International School of Art & Design, and the International School of Business.
Contact information, admissions, programs, faculty and staff, costs, financial aid, and library information. Also includes links to Finnish American Heritage Center.
Thanks to DMOZ, which built a great web directory for nearly two decades and freely shared it with the web. About us